Flavour explosion Tandoori chicken naan pizza
Today I want to share a really good recipe for a special pizza. A flavour explosion Tandoori chicken naan pizza!
Almost every Friday I make homemade pizza for the family and we are all very crazy about our own pizza here. But when we eat it every Friday, we also need some variation for the toppings, other wise we would get bored of it.
A while ago I tried looking for some new flavours and came across this recipe. It really amazed us all, because it came with an explosion of so many flavours and textures that at the same time combine so well together.
First you have the soft naan bread with cumin and garlic. Then the quite spicy sauce and chicken with yogurt and at last the sweetness and softness of the mango!!! Next to that you also get a taste of fresh cilantro here and there which gives an extra dimension to it all. We love this recipe and I will love to share it with you and hear what you think of it.
Flavour explosion Tandoori chicken naan pizza
This is what you need:
Tandoori chicken marina:
125 ml plain yogurt, plus more to top
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for brushing
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons ginger
1 tablespoon hot paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garam masala
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
Toppings Tandoori Chicken Naan Pizza:
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 pieces Naan bread
½ red onion, sliced
1 mango sliced
200 gr. shredded mozzarella
Mint, to garnish
Cilantro, to garnish
Plain yogurt, to top
500 gr all-purpose flour or 1/2 all-purpose and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon sugar
60 ml hot water (just hot tap water)
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
180 ml warm milk
250 ml greek yogurt
Melted butter for brushing may use olive oil
Fresh cilantro or other herbs for topping
This is what you do:
You begin with making the marinade for the chicken. (It needs to rest for minimum 2 hours in the fridge)
- Combine the yogurt, lemon, oil, garlic, ginger, paprika, cumin, garam masala, and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Process until smooth to make the marinade.
- Sprinkle the chicken thighs with salt and place in a freezer bag with half of the marinade, turning to coat well.
- Reserve the remaining half of the marinade in a separate container.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
Secondly you start making the dough for the Naan bread. (It also needs to rest before you can prepare it)
- Dissolve the sugar in the warm water in a medium size bowl.
- Add the dry yeast to the warm water and stir until the yeast is dissolved.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to froth and rise.
- When the yeast is foamy and smells like bread add the warm milk and yogurt.
- Add the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients right into the middle of the dry and begin mixing the wet with dry using a wooden spatula.
- When the dough is about to come together, use your hands to finish mixing. As soon as it comes together, stop kneading. It should be sticky, but should form a ball and be soft.
- Cover the bowl with a damp towel or plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place 1 hour or if not using right away overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to cook divide the dough into 4 equal balls and using a rolling pin, roll each piece of dough into an oval shape.
- Warm a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat (you want a hot pan).
- Brush both sides of the Naan with melted butter and if desired sprinkle on any spices you like such as cumin and garlic.
- Place the Naan on the hot skillet, cover with a lid and bake for 1 minute, until you see bubbles starting to form.
- Flip and cook for 1-2 minutes on the other side, until large toasted spots appear on the underside.
- Brush with a bit more butter if desired, and then sprinkle with a little kosher salt, fresh cilantro (I used cilantro) or other herbs.
- Place the Naan in a tea towel-lined dish. Repeat with the rest of the Naans
Now you go back to the Chicken Tandoori and let all the ingredients come together for a delicious pizza.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Grill the chicken 5 minutes per side, or until it reaches 70 degree C.
- Remove from heat and cut into chunks.
- Brush the Naan with oil.
- Mix the previously reserved marinade mixture with 2 tablespoons of tomato paste. Add additional yogurt to thin, if necessary, to give a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the Naan with the tomato-yogurt mixture.
- Top with the red onion, chicken, mango, and mozzarella.
- Turn down the heat on the grill and place the Naan pizzas on, or put the Naan pizzas on a shelf above the grill grate.
- Close the lid and grill until the cheese melts. Remove from heat
- Top the pizzas with mint leaves and cilantro, drizzle with yogurt, and serve.
For print version click here