Healthy Banana bread with walnuts,
I love to experiment with new recipes and at the moment I want to find tasty healthy recipes, which my children also would love to eat. My youngest daughter is very critical with food and would (if I let her) only eat unhealthy food, like lots of chocolate, candy, and pancakes and for dinner only pasta with a lot of cheese. So I have decided to go look for new tasty healthy recipes’ and try them out one by one.
One of the problems I have with my girls is especially in the afternoon when they come home from school. They are then hungry for sweets and often get a snack like a Sultana of some kind of wheat cookie which sound kind of healthy but isn’t really, I think. So I wanted to find something, which could replace this.
Looking through Pinterest (which is one of my favourite places to find what I am looking for) I came across a lot of recipes for banana bread. Several were with the description “healthy banana bread” and looking further into the recipes one draw my attention.
The recipe comes from the blog “where you get your protein” and the writer Marlena has written a nice piece about this bread and the possibilities around it.
A couple of weeks ago I tried it out. It was very easy and quick to make and it was indeed very yummy. We were all so happy with this Healthy banana bread, that it was gone before we knew it. So I had to make it again. The second time I made a bigger portion (two breads) and placed one of the breads in the freezer so it wouldn’t get dry. That it always a good tip if you want to eat as fresh as possible. Freeze you bread in as soon as it has cooled down and when taking it out of the freezer it is still fresh and yummy!
I here give you the recipe translated into my measurements and instead of coconut sugar I used palm sugar.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutesThis is what you doWat do you Need?
This is what you need:
4 ripe organic bananas (about 380g peeled)
190 g organic all purpose flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch of nutmeg
a pinch of salt
60 g coconut sugar, or organic brown sugar
60 ml refined coconut oil, melted
3 Tablespoons chopped walnut pieces
This is what you do:
- Start by preheating your oven to 175 degrees,
- Grease your bread pan and chop your walnuts into smaller pieces.
- In a medium bowl, sift together your flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg
and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas. Make sure not to leave any big chunks.
- Add the sugar and oil to the bananas and mix until evenly combined.
- Once the oil and sugar are incorporated, gently fold in the dry ingredients just enough
for everything to come together.
- Now, gently fold in your walnut pieces.
- Pour the batter into your greased bread pan.
- Bake at 175 degrees for 25-35 min or until a tooth pick comes out clean.
- Store in an air tight container to keep fresh.
If you want to print the recipe click here